Faridoon Shahryar's Blog


Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag Will Break All Records And Win Awards, Says Dalip Tahil

Had a delightful chance encounter with actor Dalip Tahil at Pali Cafe in Bandra a short while back. I was there to while away time as I had an interview some time later while Tahil sahab had a meeting in the vicinity. I had interviewed him in Jaipur for Harman Baweja's 'Victory'. He remembered and invited me over to his table.

He excitedly spoke about Rakeysh Mehra's 'Bhaag Milkha Bhaag' where he is playing the role of Jawaharlal Nehru. I asked him how commercially viable is the film. He replied that it will not only break records commercially, it will do India proud in the international arena. He said it should deservedly be India's entry to the Oscars next year. Tahil praised Farhan Akhtar profusely. He had wonderful things to say about Prasoon Joshi's script. He emphasised on the 'original' aspect of the script and blasted a filmmaker who has liberally copied scenes from a Hollywood film in the recent times.

Tahil is also doing six more films but he termed them 'inconsequential'. "I am doing them for putting meals on my table," he said and refused to talk about them. He went down the memory lane and nostalgically spoke about Ramesh Sippy's TV serial 'Buniyad'. "It was based on my mother," he said and praised Shyam Manohar Joshi for his writing. Tahil takes pride in his singing skills. He regularly performs on stage and it was obvious that he really enjoys it, maybe more than acting.
Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand this hoopla around Barfi being copied. So Anurag Basu copied, big deal. As a viewer I am least concerned whether something is copied or original so long as I enjoyed the film. I loved Barfi, and regardless of whether it is original, scenes were blatantly lifted, or the entire film was blatantly lifted, it doesn't change the fact that it was a heartwarming film. Creative people and people in the industry may feel differently, but my reaction when i read all these allegations as a viewer is, so what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Tahil was not referring to Barfi in our conversation. Even I enjoyed Barfi a lot. Great performances. But yes you can't send a film like this for Oscar. Many scenes are blatantly lifted and it's not done.

    ReplyDelete