Faridoon Shahryar's Blog


Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Show Must Go On

My dad has been diagnosed with Lung Cancer. He is 75. Prognosis isn't good. These are tough times for us as a family. Work has to go on simultaniously. I am smiling and chirpy in my interviews with celebrities, for that is work. Viewers are not expected to understand what's going on in my mind as I am trying to bring out information from the stars. I tell myself before each interview, that its gotta be my best ever, irrespective of the turmoil that I'm going through. Life goes on. The show must go on as well.

Past few months have been a tremendous learning experience. What do the blood reports signify, what are the safe sugar levels, which part of brain affects which faculties, ghastly side effects of chemotherapy, MRI scan, CT scan, PET scan, what sort of diet has to be given, stomach ailments, sudden drop in immunity levels...phew! Aarefa has been a pillar of support and managing things expertly. Insha, in spite of being a kid has been very very cooperative and adjusting. I've been having a severe back ache but still I keep telling myself to keep going on...in an attempt to hopefully prolong the Inevitable and hopefully make it as painless for Abba as possible. My elder brother keeps commuting between Dubai and Bombay and we are always on the phone...we don't have any option other than taking each day as it comes and tackle each emergency to the best of our ability.

Incidentally, Mr Amitabh Bachchan has agreed to give the Jnanpith Award for 2008 to my father Professor Shahryar. The function will happen in September or October this year in New Delhi. Date is yet not finalised. We hope and pray that Abba will collect it himself.

Alright Margaret, i am still active on my Blog even though twitter once again has been a good diversion. This is what came naturally to me. Hopefully, will try and post, more brighter things in the days to come.

Cheers and best wishes!

8 comments:

  1. My dear friend..Our collective hearts go out to you and your family. Its true everything is reduced to drs. appt..treatments..medications..the world seemingly revolves around them and then we have to juggle some semblance of 'real' life each person trying their level best to be at the ready and a pillar of strength. I can truly say from my experience it is not easy nor can we be expected to be everything all at once. I learned that almost the hard way. Only when the sea has calmed and we can see the horizon do we get a clear perspective and even at that point in time it looks alittle hazy. Take one day at a time..do not expect too much other than what you can do. Do not hesitate to get outside help..like a visiting nurse..in the daytime..or a caregiver at night. Just do the best you can and we are all here with you and for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret for ur wonderful words...

    best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Faridoon,
    My heart goes out to you in your daily struggle. My own father was diagnosed with cancer and I remember the challeges we faced as a family as we sought to comfort him and one another. What a wonderful support your family can be! I remember finding solace in family and in my religious beliefs as well. I truly wish you comfort, peace, and good health so that these trials will be easier for you to bear and I definitely wish your father the same and a quick and complete recovery if that is at all possible. In the mean time stay strong. You are truly an inspiration of strength! You have my complete support. Take care, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( Sad to hear about your dad's illness Faridoon n as I have nursed my aunt n grandparents who fought caner I perfectly understand the pain of watching a loved one fight this battle. Just faith in the one above and the support of family members gives one the inner strength to be there n help your dad thru this one . Will keep your family and specially your Dad in my prayers and hope that you all manage through this tough time
    with strength.

    God bless n Duas always
    Saanj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Paula and Saanj for ur wonderful words...really appreciate the genuine concern

    best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your dad. My grandfather also had lung cancer and so can very much understand the emotions your family is currently going through. Just have faith and take care of the family. Your dad will be in my prayers.

    Just would like suggest one thing that please do explore alternative medicines like homeopathy/Ayurveda in parallel to western medicines. You never know what may help....one of my friend's father, who recovered from brain tumor, took homeopathy which helped him a great deal in dealing with side effects of chemotherapy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks MK25 for ur wonderful comment...we shall surely look into ur advice

    best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very sorry to know about your father. Inshallah he will collect the award himself. As I have said my 65 year old father too had been diagnosed with a form of leukemia, which is a blood cancer. I know what you must be going through in your life, it puts everything into perspective. May the almighty give us all the strength!

    ReplyDelete